Friday, June 30, 2006

The Gospel According to Saint Mel

This week saw the 80th birthday of Mel Brooks, possibly the greatest living contributor to the Comedist cause. Even if he had never made a movie, his writing for Sid Caesar, the 2000 year old man, and Get Smart would have been enough to leave a legacy. But he did make films... In honor of the feast day of Saint Mel -- make sure you are not tardy or no fruit cup for you -- I have been meditating on his work. What would be the funniest scene and the funniest line? My nominees:

Scenes:
- Opening dance number to Springtime for Hitler, especially including the pan over the audience
- The bean scene
- Puttin' on the Ritz* (this scene was Gene Wilder's idea and Mel originally fought against it)
- The Inquisition
- The BIG bottle
- The "everything you're seeing now is happening now" scene

Lines:
- "I see your Schwartz is as big as mine."
- "What knockers!"
- "All pay heed! The Lord, the Lord Jehovah has given unto you these fifteen (crash)...Oy! ten, ten commandments for all to obey!"
- "I got it, I got it, I got it,...I ain't got it."
- "Schwartzas? Lassen gehen!"
- "I'm not a madame, I'm a concierge!"
- "What he did to Shakespeare, we're now doing to Poland."
- "You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban."
- "It's good to be the King."
- "Excuse me while I whip this out"

Others?

I leave you with this one bit of wisdom: "don't be stupid, be a schmarty, come and join the Nazi party."

Happy birthday, Mel!

--Irreverend Steve